With the 2016 Asia Cup just a few days away, team India has received a huge shock. The team’s skipper MS Dhoni has suffered a muscle spasm in the back while in a practice session in Dhaka on Monday.
- In the aftermath of this incident, the selection committee has proposed Parthiv Patel as the replacement for MS Dhoni in case he fails to play due to his injury.
- In a press release from the BCCI, it has been stated that Parthiv will be joining the team in Dhaka as soon as possible.
- India takes on Bangladesh in the inaugural match to be held on February 24.
- Though this event has depressed many cricketing fans, it has come well in advance of the ICC World T20 which is scheduled to begin three weeks from now.
- MS’s absence from the squad during the T20 world cup could have been a shattering blow to the Indian team.
- The Asia Cup tournament will begin from February 24and last until March 6, 2016, which is the date for the finale.
- This edition marks the 13th anniversary of the Asia Cup, and this is the first time that the tournament will be played in the T20 international format.
- The tourney will be hosting five countries namely India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh and the United Arab Emirates.
- The United Arab Emirates entered the tournament after playing a qualifier which was held from February 19 to February 22, 2016.
Injuries, Injuries, Injuries…
- Team India has been afflicted with injury woes before the tournament.
- Earlier pace man Mohammed Shami had been rested due to a hamstring injury and now the captain.
- It is relieving that these injuries have occurred way before the world T20 or else the hopes of team India winning the world cup would have gone in vain.
However, Mohammed Shami’s replacement Bhuvaneshwar Kumar and MS Dhoni’s replacement, Parthiv Patel have displayed adequate cricketing acumen in the past. Bhuvaneshwar Kumar has a stupendous international record in bowling till now. Parthiv Patel, on the other hand, has played 38 ODIs, 20 Tests, and a mere 2 T20s.
However, his stints in domestic cricket have made news then and now. His colossal run tally of 295 for Gujarat made him the second highest run scorer for his team in the Vijay Hazare Trophy. The 295 comprised of a century and a 50 which helped Gujarat clinch the title.
With such amount of expertise and prospect, Parthiv Patel can prove to be a worthy replacement for Captain Cool!